Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sucker For Punishment - Christian Books

It hasn't been that long since I endured 'The Reason for God', and I have somehow managed to agree to read 'Jesus and the Eyewitnesses' by Richard Bauckham. It's like 550 pages long and I heard it was a difficult read so I guess that makes me a sucker for punishment. My university library has a copy, so I'll probably read it slowly between now and the end of the first semester. I guess the good thing about me doing this kind of thing is that no one can accuse me of only reading one side of the debate.

How about I make it official. I'm going to try and make an effort to read at least two scholarly Christian books a year. I actually finished reading Timothy Keller in December, so my tally this year is 0.

In other book news, I'm currently reading 'The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity' by the late Hyam Maccoby. I don't agree with everything in the book but he brings up some analyses of the New Testament texts that I haven't seen before and draws some novel and thought provoking conclusions. Since Maccoby is a Jewish Talmudic scholar the book is quite notably pro-Judaism but it makes for fresh reading.

4 comments:

  1. To know them is to debate them...and win. I get the answers in genesis newsletter. I like the punishment also.

    Kriss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to take one for the team! I look forward to reading your review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try my best to be unbiased, it's hard though..

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be fair, try John Blanchard's "Does God Believe in Atheists".
    If you'd like to debate, let's do it over e-mails rather than posting on each other's blogs :)

    ReplyDelete