Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Female Science/Atheism Authors

I came to the shocking realisation that of the 50-60ish books that I own (Check out my collection on Librarything) that relate to science and/or atheism (not including some of the contributors to my text books) I only own one book by a female author. That one book is ‘A History of God’ by Karen Armstrong. I feel that this is a situation that must be rectified before the end of this year. If anyone has any suggestions for books, I would like to hear them. I am willing to extend this category to include politics, conservation, human rights, feminism, philosophy and ethics, as I don’t have enough books in those categories either.

8 comments:

  1. That is quite admirable of you, homie. My favorite feminism book is The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf. It's about how society unfairly pushes this myth of young is beautiful onto women. I don't know any atheism books by females tho. Armstrong, off the top of my head, is the only one I know of. A fun science book is Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice For All Creation. happy hunting buddy.

    Kriss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lame, neither of those books are available for Kindle, they may have to wait a bit longer before getting added to my collection, but I'll keep them in mind. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ayan Hirsi Ali's books are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course! Why did I not think of her! She's such an inspiration. Thanks for the suggestion Ken. Will you be at the NZ Skeptic convention this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I've got a few recommendations here:

    http://freethoughtblogs.com/tokenskeptic/2012/02/04/a-skeptical-required-reading-list-in-graphic-form/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I know you! You were at the NZ Skeptics conference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was a lady that toured the lecture halls with the likes of Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins. Her name escapes me... what I do know is that she's a historian/archeologist on near east religions (Judaism, Christianity & Islam). I watched a few of her lectures/debates on Youtube a while back and would love help in trying to figure out her name.

    I could be mistaken, but I believe she is of Indian decent (possibly Persian/Indian mix), incredibly intelligent and very well versed on religious history. If I come across her name and/or works, I'll follow up on here.

    -J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Sorry, this is a long time in responding, but that was indeed me at the NZ Skeptics convention. I hope you enjoy the next one coming up soon, and if you were at the Global Atheist convention, I would have waved from the stage there too! :)

    Kylie S.

    ReplyDelete