Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

For Marriage Equality Part 2

Since the last post I made on marriage equality was focussed on an argument someone made that tried to rely on evidence (it failed though), I thought I would address some more subjective elements. I may not mirror this post on my politics blog because a lot of the content of this one will be religious in nature.

Recently I had a conversation with someone about various churches positions on homosexuality. Their church they said was welcoming of LGBTQIA people and that it is sad that Christianity has a bad reputation in this respect. What I tried to communicate to them was that the reason Christianity has a bad rep is because even most of the churches that are 'welcoming' of LGBTQIA people, most of these churches are not accepting and their church fell under this category. What I mean by welcoming and accepting is quite simple. A church that welcomes LGBTQIA people will not shun them or be nasty to them, but what they won't do is accept them as they are. Instead, there is an underlying belief that being LGBTQ (not sure about church positions on intersex and asexual people..) is immoral and sinful, and in order to not be continually living in sin, you either have to turn straight or remain celibate forever.

Arguably, this position is worse than simply being hateful, though those who hold to it are generally well intentioned. It reminds me of all those "I'm not racist, but...", "I'm not sexist, but..." kind of things. This one would be "I'm not homophobic, but LGBTQ people were born the wrong way and should change who they are to suit my beliefs." I don't know about everyone, but I certainly wouldn't choose to be friends with people who thought that part of who I am (not something that I do, or believe in) is immoral.

So how does this relate to marriage equality? Because many of these kinds of Christians who welcome but don't accept LGBTQIA people are opposed to marriage equality, because they feel like supporting it would mean they tacitly endorse homosexuality, which they believe is inherently sinful. I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way. We do not live in a conservative theocracy where people's personal lives are subjected to the moral code of a particular subset of a religion. You may also believe that pre-marital sex is sinful, and depending on how conservative you are, you may also think piercings and tattoos are sinful too. I don't see you out there trying to petition the government to make them illegal, so why in this particular instance do you think that allowing consenting adults of the same gender to marry all of a sudden becomes your business?

3 comments:

  1. Here in the good ol' USA, if it involves sex it is everyone's business. People here quote the Bible verses on homosexuality at you, while they ignore the tattoo/yarmulke bits. It baffles me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://endtimes201.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

  3. you can thank RANDI


    youtube.com/watch?v=wHs0vM3gRTA


    ______

    youtube.com/watch?v=gHbYJfwFgOU


    which WORLD-VIEW will not exist, sh*thead?



    ______________

    5000 whining atheists vs the Great Prophet

    how the divine pen of Michel N. crushed the international atheist movement

    sguforums.com/index.php?topic=43121.0

    youtube.com/watch?v=s3lwG4MytSI


    one applicant right here...


    get the POINT, Randi....





    for lies on top of lies

    youtube.com/watch?v=bbmXpNEFipE


    do you think you can threaten my right to FREE SPEECH?

    what if I told you that I am not who you think I am….

    Not Dennis Markuze - but a FAN!



    youtube.com/watch?v=nvatDdOWcLw&lc

    you're not the center of the universe!



    youtube.com/watch?v=3yRpSNIOwA4

    a dishonest liar


    ____


    youtube.com/watch?v=ruQFh_TkPto

    WHINE WHINE WHINE


    ______________



    youtube.com/watch?v=wHs0vM3gRTA


    you can thank RANDI


    -------


    BRING IT ON!

    ReplyDelete