Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

One of the strangest punishments around

In Ezekiel chapter 5 lies one of perhaps the strangest punishments imaginable. In return for being abominable or defying his will or something like that, Yahweh decides he will cause sons to eat their fathers and fathers to eat their sons. Yes, the bible says that god causes people to eat each other.

Here's the verse

Therefore in your midst fathers will eat their children, and children will eat their fathers. I will inflict punishment on you and will scatter all your survivors to the winds.
Right now I'm struggling to think of a more grotesque punishment. Well, one that isn't specifically created in my mind to beat that anyway. OK I'll rephrase, I haven't HEARD of any punishments more disgusting, I could perhaps conjure one up though.

4 comments:

  1. I think that was punishment for idolatry; another fine example of God's twisted set of morals.

    That's a tough punishment to beat on the grotesque scale too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do things among you that I have not done before and that I will never do anything like again, because you do the things I hate.

    That's verse 9 directly before your quoted verse 10.

    Haha, at least we know it only happened and will only ever happen once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that it only happened once (if it even happened at all) is not the point. The point is that it happened at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Kinda like how God only flooded the entire earth and wiped out the entire human race *only once*. That makes it OK, right?

    ReplyDelete