Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Conspiracy Mentality

For some reason or another, while inebriated at a party, the topic came around to discussing a movie called Zeitgeist and other various assorted conspiracy theories. I have come up with a hypothesis of my own, although it isn't a conspiracy, it does relate to the people that formulate and believe in conspiracies.

My hypothesis is very simple, so I'll do my best to explain it as such.

Conspiracy theorists and believers of conspiracies always tend to accept a whole battalion of conspiracy theories. I have never met a person who thinks 9/11 was an inside job that doesn't also believe in multiple other conspiracies. Other common conspiracies that they tend to believe in are New World Order conspiracies, Illuminati, Moon Landing Hoax, World Bank conspiracies and even some conspiracies dating back hundreds of years. So with this in mind, I propose that perhaps some people are more prone to conspiratorial thinking than others. I'm not a neuroscience expert, but I suspect that it is a result of brain conditioning or that critical thinking skills aren't being applied consistently that causes some people to be more susceptible to believing grandiose conspiracies.

I hope that made sense...

3 comments:

  1. It does make sense but I don't really agree with it, maybe if their was some research on it.

    When I see people talking about conspiracies on TV i think "man those guys are fucking retarded" but when I think about it myself and other people I've meet I don't think we are fucking retarded.
    I blame this on the media and how they portray these people.
    In theory one of the ways the new world order is trying to control us is to get everyone to listen to mainstream media, so you would expect them to make these people look like douches.

    But then again I keep trying to link a way to compare these theories to the bible, like "this is the holy book because it says so on this holy book" If you find a way to link them together I wont believe in conspiracies anymore.

    See this post doesn't make sense... it does to me but your not me lol

    Dylan Strachan

    ReplyDelete
  2. atheistic conspiracies man those atheistic guys are fucking retarded" but when I think about it myself and other people I've meet I don't think you are fucking retarded.


    join
    So you want to be a Pastafarian

    Great. Consider yourself a member. You’ll notice there’s no hoops to jump through. You don’t need to pay anything.



    How to help the church

    You can do that by spreading the word. Tell people about Pastafarianism. Point out that we’re the world’s most peaceful mainstream religion, having started no wars in our God’s name. As far as I know there are no deaths attributed to our religion.



    Can I be a member if I don’t literally Believe in the FSM?

    Yes you can. For the same reason that many in other religions don’t literally believe their scripture, you can be a Pastafarian without being a True Believer of our scripture. In other words, do you know Christians who don’t take the Bible literally – but who consider themselves True Christians, nonetheless? So do I. In fact, True Belief is not often a requirement of religion. Most religions are comprised of a group of people with similar – but not exact – world views. Pastafarianism is no different in that regard.



    Whatever you decide, remember this

    FSM is a real, legitimate religion, as much as any other. The fact that many see this is as a satirical religion doesn’t change the fact that by any standard one can come up with, our religion is as legitimate as any other. And *that* is the point

    ReplyDelete
  3. True. I like Hitch's explanation that many people will accept a conspiracy theory to no theory at all. Some people are also just drama queens.

    ReplyDelete